KeyBank is one of the nation’s largest bank-based financial services companies, providing investment management, retail and commercial banking, consumer finance and investment banking products and services. Based in Cleveland, Ohio, KeyBank employs 15,000 people. KeyBank began working with ShapeUp in 2010 as part of its systematic approach to wellness, aimed at improving employee health and driving down health care costs by helping employees become more involved with their health and each other.
KeyBank sought to activate its largely sedentary workforce with an easy and engaging approach to exercise. ShapeUp was a perfect fit for KeyBank, as the company’s employees are extremely tech-savvy and quickly adopted ShapeUp’s online, social networking-based program.
Originally rolled out in select office locations in 2010, the ShapeUp program garnered an impressive 33% engagement rate without financial incentives. The participation number far exceeded the management team’s expectations. In addition, the company’s locations with the highest health risk population – those who are traditionally the hardest to activate – also achieved a 33% engagement rate, which had positive implications for improved company health.
This early success cleared the way for a national launch of the ShapeUp program at KeyBank, which began in 2011 with a specific focus on high participation and retention. Currently in the midst of its program, the 2011 numbers have increased to a remarkable 58% engagement rate across KeyBank’s population, connecting over 9,000 employees, and a retention rate of 87%. As part of its wellness strategy, KeyBank aims to extend wellness initiatives to families and communities in order to promote lasting behavior change by increasing the employees’ support systems.
Results & Benefits
- Wellness engagement: 58% of KeyBank’s employees are currently participating in the ShapeUp program.
- Program Retention: Retention rates in the 2011 challenge are consistently surpassing 80%.
- Improved health: In the 2010 roll out, participants lost a total 1,208 pounds, a weight reduction of 192 BMI points. 11% of participants lost more than 10 pounds over the course of the program.
- Target population: 33% of KeyBank’s highest health risk population participated in ShapeUp’s 2010 challenge. This typically disengaged group participated at the same level as the overall population.
- Increased activity: Participants walked nearly 2 million steps cumulatively and exercised 580,926 minutes over the course of the 2010 challenge.
- Financial Services
- $4.5 billion